It was the kind of game it should be. The Bears were the far better team and they won with relative ease. Here are some thoughts.
- Mitch Trubisky was not great. But this game was a serious positive. A few bad throws. A few terrific moments. But overall he just seemed far more comfortable operating the offense.
- David Montgomery has to get more carries moving forward. He averaged 5.2 yards per carry on 13 attempts last night. That’s ten too few. Montgomery wears down defenses. The offense will be at its best when it moves through the rookie.
- Don’t think I’ve ever seen a more negligent offensive game plan than Washington’s. Had they not heard of Khalil Mack? Did he catch them off guard? Singling him with a tight end? Mack is the second best defensive player in the entire sport. And on nights like last night, he’s second to none.
- Injuries starting to mount. Pineiro. Hicks. Gabriel. Nichols already on the shelf. The Bears are playing a huge divisional game, on a short week, potentially short-handed.
- HaHa Clinton-Dix looked like Eddie Jackson.
- Two weeks ago, Danny Tevathan looked like he was on the decline. Last night he looked like the best player on the field at times.
- What the hell was up with all the offsides penalties? The Bears have a brilliant defense but they better be more disciplined against better opponents.
- Cordarrelle Patterson wants to make plays. But does he have to take the ball out of the end zone on every kickoff?