STATUS OF THE NAMESAKE
Pat Mannelly, the namesake for this column, is attempting to recover from January hip surgery. Special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis commented on the organization’s approach to Mannelly in this post from ESPN Chicago:
“I’ve been in contact with Pat and there is no pressure one way or the other,” DeCamillis said. “We just have to let it play out. He’s had a great career, and I hope he continues his great career, but we just need to let it play out and see how it goes.
“I don’t [have a sense which way he’s leaning]. I just hope it’s the best situation for him. That’s really what I hope because he’s such a great person and such a great guy. Winning the Ed Block Courage Award is a big deal. Couldn’t be a better guy to win it, I can tell you that.”
Here are some facts about the world when Mannelly joined the Bears:
- The reigning Best Picture winner? Titanic.
- Seinfeld was the top rated television show in the country.
- Dave Wannstedt was still coaching the Chicago Bears.
- Barack Obama had yet to serve his first two-year term in the Illinois State Senate.
- Brian Urlacher was a teenager.
Pat Mannelly is a Chicago Bears institution and deserves a proper, year-long sendoff. Here’s hoping he returns for a final season.