Both men will meet the media at 10:00 AM CT Wednesday (my birthday). Stay tuned to this space for a response to that press conference.
A few notes:
- George McCaskey made clear what many of us have known: this ownership group loves Ryan Pace and trusts him to right the ship. (Do they love Nagy? I’m not sure but they trust Ryan on him.)
- No contract extensions for either doesn’t automatically mean next season is “win or gone” but it will increase the pressure.
- George: “We need better production from the quarterback position to be successful.” Bingo.
- George suggested he’s more confident in Pace selecting the next franchise QB because Nagy will be involved in that process. It is very obvious ownership wants this group to succeed and is going to give them every chance to do that.
- Weird moment when Ted wouldn’t answer how long the Nagy/Pace contracts are. Not sure I get why that would be privileged information but it does suggest these guys might not be expiring after 2021.
- Pace made it very clear that this entire offseason is about the quarterback position.
- Prodded about the 2017 draft by Dan Wiederer, Pace would not take the bait and kill Trubisky. Nagy was pressed as well, and passed. There’s no reason to do it.
One thing is very clear from today: Mitch Trubisky will not be on the Chicago Bears next season.