🚨 SPOILER ALERT 🚨
We already made our 2019 first round pick. Hope you like him. pic.twitter.com/tXjlcgDC79
— Chicago Bears (@ChicagoBears) April 25, 2019
It was just about the most boring evening of television I’ve ever endured. And yes, I endured it on the off-chance Ryan Pace made some ridiculous move back into the first round. Here are some thoughts on what transpired, starting in-division.
- Packers added Rashan Gary (DL, Michigan) and Darnell Savage (S, Maryland). Like the latter player a lot. Don’t like the former, who comes into his rookie season with major injury concerns. Green Bay has been trying to rebuild their defense for a few years. Have they finally done it? (No.)
- Vikings drafted a center. Yes, he’s supposedly the best center in the draft but he’s still a center. To quote Andrew Dannehy’s Twitter feed: “Sensible pick, but, again, doesn’t concern me. He’s not gonna block Mack, and they still don’t have anyone who can.”
- Lions got their tight end. I look forward to T.J. Hockenson being an All-Pro tight end for the Colts in five years.
Tweet of the Night
The Bosa family – father and two sons – are the only such trio to all be drafted in the first round since the Mannings. The Mannings win the tiebreakers for not being open racists on social media.
If my dad wasn’t such a scrub we would all be first rounders smh 🤦♂️
— 75 (@Ky1eLong) April 26, 2019
- The biggest story of the night was the breaking news surrounding Tyreek Hill. And I don’t know how any team, after hearing Hill openly discuss abusing his son while threatening his girlfriend, could respond differently than the Chiefs. “Kansas City Chiefs GM Brett Veach announced the team has suspended wide receiver Tyreek Hill from all team activities pending an investigation.” is the first headline. His release is coming next. From a humanity standpoint, this is a good development. From a football standpoint, this is a huge development for the AFC.
- Lou Riddick, unsurprisingly, had the best take when it came to the Raiders taking Clelin Ferrell to the Raiders at four: “If he’s productive, nobody will care where he was taken.” The rookie wage scale has changed everything…except the commentary surrounding the NFL Draft.
- From a Tweet by Matt Schneidman: “Clelin Ferrell says Jon Gruden was on the elliptical for three hours during his visit with the Raiders.” I’m a big elliptical guy. Three hours is too long.
- The Giants drafting Daniel Jones at 6 wasn’t entirely surprising but it just seems that organization is rudderless. Why bring Eli back? Wouldn’t the most talented receiver in football help a young a QB? If this kid doesn’t play for a year or two, doesn’t that coincide with having to pay your all-world RB? Does any of this really make sense?
- Where does Josh Rosen end up now? That kid’s career is in serious jeopardy now.
- For a Bears-centric take, here’s something: only one CB and one RB came off the board and those are possibly the Bears’ two primary focus areas.