It was not an exciting game. So let’s get right into rapid fire…
- The score of this game was 14-9 with about five minutes left in the third quarter. That’s how good this Bears defense is. They simply dominate inferior opponents. Akiem Hicks was unblockable, Leonard Floyd has been one of the better defenders in the league the last several weeks and Khalil Mack is, well, one of the best football players I’ve ever seen.
- Yesterday is the game the Bears need from Mitch Trubisky on the road in the postseason. He was poised, accurate and (mostly) smart with the football.
Great individual play by Trubisky. But watch him in the pocket before he vacates. Tries to climb. 2nd straight week he’s done it. 👌
He grows as a passer with stuff like this. Progressions, patience, eyes down field. Then go if it’s not there. pic.twitter.com/fzxsMXEMOk
— Joe Tidei (@JoeyProspects) December 24, 2018
- The Trubisky-to-Cohen fumble was an awfully stupid moment for both the quarterback and the coach. Matt Nagy’s signature flaw as a play caller is a failure to recognize when simplicity is working. When Jordan Howard gains 9 yards on first down, you don’t need to run a college option on second down. You turn around and hand Howard the ball again.
- George Kittle is a pain in the ass.
- From Dan Pompei on Twitter: “The 49ers are one of the best teams ever at pulling the ball out after the runner is down.”
- If I were Nagy and Ryan Pace I would have seriously considered benching all my star players due to the conditions yesterday. What was that field? Levi’s Stadium made Soldier Field’s turf look like Augusta National. Kyle Fuller fell down three times in the first half! Once again, if you believe the league is concerned with player safety, you’re a dupe.
- Cassius Marsh needs to calm down with the karate shit. He’s on a four-win team.
- Joel Iyiegbuniwe is the next Brendon Ayanbadejo.
- I have no problem with Bellamy and Miller getting tossed for fighting. When your quarterback takes a cheap shot, you retaliate. And yesterday the Niners clearly intended to hit Trubisky after he gave himself up. They did it all game long. It was intentional.
- The Niners tried to pick on Sherrick McManis. Problem was, Sherrick McManis played a great game.
This week becomes all about how the Bears approach the Minnesota Vikings. And it will be hotly debated, I’m sure. As long as the two seed is still there, I think Nagy will play his starters.