Ryan Pace and John Fox addressed the media today. The following are my thoughts:
- Both Pace and Fox set the perfect tone for a 3-13 press conference. They acknowledged the injuries but made clear the results of the season were unacceptable.
- Pace sure sounded like a GM zeroing on the quarterback position this offseason. Made very clear that his decisions at that position this offseason will greatly impact the future of the organization. As Pace said, “Everything is on the table”.
- Bears only have 19 players on the roster from previous regime. That’s kind of amazing.
- Alshon Jeffery discussion was tepid. Pace did not sound like a GM willing to commit major resources to a player whose production – though excusable – has plummeted.
- “Ball security is critical” -John Fox. It was obvious from the head coach’s comments that he does not want a QB who throws the ball to the other team.
- Pace was on the money with his evaluation of the Bears secondary. They need to add playmakers with better ball skills.
- Pace is “not giving up on Kyle Fuller”. His commentary on Fuller was some of his most passionate. Fuller will be given every opportunity to compete for this team in 2017.
- Fox’s way of saying injuries cracked me up: “consistency of games available”.
- Pace believes Jonathan Bullard needed this year to learn to play defense a different way. He expects a leap next year.
- Both coordinators are staying.
I really like Ryan Pace. But this is a massive offseason for the young GM.