WHY DO I LIKE THE CHICAGO BEARS THIS WEEK?
I always like the Chicago Bears.
And so the Bears lie their head
Upon the season’s unmade bed
With drool of last night’s revelry
Fans across Chicago serve up optimistic Tweets
We dare to dream of better days!
(Though dreaming bares the soul)
For glory’s the result of dreams!
(And glory is the goal)
Sleep, dear Bears.
And rest each coming day.
Is just nine months away.
THOUGHTS ON THE DETROIT LIONS
- It’s impossible to ignore the tangible influence Jim Bob Cooter has had on the Lions passing game and quarterback Matthew Stafford. Cooter gets it. (A sentence I really enjoyed writing.) His quarterback likes to throw the ball a mile down the field and his star receiver is one of the greatest to ever run a mile down the field and catch the ball in traffic. Stafford has openly rallied for Cooter to be kept on regardless of the head coach’s future. If it doesn’t happen, JBC won’t have to wait long to find future employment.
- If the Lions retain Jim Caldwell, that would almost be TOO Lions. But the Adam Gase to Detroit rumors strike me as odd for many reasons:
(1) The man who’ll hire the next head coach isn’t in the building yet. So how can there be even an educated guess as to the direction the organization will go?
(2) Gase’s agents are terrific at the promotion game and one need only to look at the way Jay Glazer and Jason La Canfora have championed his head coaching cause over the last two seasons.
(3) How often does the “guy is FROM there so he’ll COACH there” thing work out? Seems to me like a lazy rationale.
(4) From what I’ve seen of Gase’s offensive approach I can’t think of a worse match than he and Stafford. You know who would work with Stafford? Todd Haley. They may not get along but they’ll throw the ball downfield a lot.
THREE BEARS OF INTRIGUE
- Can John Timu put together three terrific games in a row to finish the year.
- This is the last real opportunity for Bottom of the Roster guys to impress the coaching staff before the start of the 2016 season. (I won’t get into the importance of camp/preseason debate until they start.) Names like Anderson, Jones-Quartey, Acho, Jenkins, Gaston, Bellamy, Mariani…etc. may never be heard from again around these parts.
- From Gil Brandt: “Jay Cutler has gone 15 straight games without throwing more than 1 INT, longest active streak in NFL.” So that’s something to keep watching, right?
HOTEL GARBAGE CAN COOLER
Last week was the trailer. This week the Bears use their newfound power run game to dominate in blustery conditions. 205 yards on the ground. Stafford and Johnson watch most of the festivities from the sideline.
Chicago Bears 20, Detroit Lions 13