Aaron Leming, who is apparently dating Ryan Pace’s sister or something, reported this morning the Bears are finalizing a deal with Ravens edge rusher Pernell McPhee for 5 years and just south of $40 million. Four thoughts from the DBB Twitter feed:
(1) Wary of buying players successful organizations are willing to walk out the door. Ravens never seem to miss these guys when they leave.
(2) Haven’t watched the tape on McPhee but look at his game logs. Lots of zeroes in that sack column and lots of sacks against crap teams.
(3) Bears will be thrilled if 2015 Pernell McPhee – at about a zillion times the cost – produced at the level of 2014 Willie Young.
(4) But Bears have money to spend & need to get as many talented defenders in the building as they possibly can. McPhee is DEFINITELY that.
(5) The deal is reportedly worth only $16 million guaranteed. That makes it a difficult contract to dislike.
(6) Signing McPhee should not alter Bears draft approach an iota. They are not settled at a single position on the defensive side of the ball.