Chris Wesserling at NFL.com listed his top twenty-five NFL free agents for this off-season. Here is that list, with all of the offensive players removed:
2. Greg Hardy, Carolina Panthers defensive end
3. Brian Orakpo, Washington Redskins linebacker
4. Jairus Byrd, Buffalo Bills safety
5. T.J. Ward, Cleveland Browns safety
6. Alterraun Verner, Tennessee Titans cornerback
8. Michael Johnson, Cincinnati Bengals defensive end
9. Lamarr Houston, Oakland Raiders defensive end
10. Brent Grimes, Miami Dolphins cornerback
12. Vontae Davis, Indianapolis Colts cornerback
13. Linval Joseph, New York Giants defensive tackle
14. Jason Hatcher, Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle
16. Aqib Talib, New England Patriots cornerback
17. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Denver Broncos cornerback
20. Michael Bennett, Seattle Seahawks defensive end
21. B.J. Raji, Green Bay Packers defensive tackle
22. Sam Shields, Green Bay Packers cornerback
23. Walter Thurmond, Seattle Seahawks cornerback
24. Donald Butler, San Diego Chargers linebacker
25. Randy Starks, Miami Dolphins defensive tackle
Today we are bringing back the Open Debates of yesteryear. Put yourselves in Phil Emery’s shoes. How would you approach this list? Would you target anyone specifically? Would you stay away from anyone specifically?
For the Bears it is all about the safeties. Sure a player like Michael Bennett or Michael Johnson or Alterraun Verner would be an improvement for a porous Bears defense. But their most definitive need is at the safety position and if Byrd or Ward manage to escape the franchise tag period unscathed, Emery should move his chips to the middle of the table.
I’ll take a few of the better responses and create a post with them later in the week.