ON THE JETS RUN GAME…
- 179 yards a game thus far, admittedly against two fairly poor defenses. Only Houston has run the ball more and only five teams are averaging more yards per carry. Especially considering the shaky health of Eric Decker, I’d think Rex Ryan would not be disappointed with a forty carry night.
- Give you a stat to keep an eye on. If the Bears limit the Jets to less than five yards a carry, the game is over by the fourth quarter.
JETS CORNER ANTONIO ALLEN A KEY COMPONENT
He is Rex Ryan’s own personal Plastic Man, a shape-shifting presence willing and able to fit into the Jets’ defensive scheme in any imaginable way. The folks in Florham Park call Antonio Allen a “baller,” a one-word description that reflects the player’s ability to take care of business by any means necessary.
He is a jack of all trades trying to master one pivotal position in dire need of help. He is a hybrid strong-side linebacker-turned-safety-turned-cornerback hoping to stop the hemorrhaging in Ryan’s secondary.
Two years after Allen made the transition from a college “spur” — a swing position in South Carolina’s unique 4-2-5 defense — to NFL safety, he is learning to play cornerback on the fly.
Dee Milliner called himself one of the best corners in the NFL. He is barely the best corner on the Jets. Allen will be tasked with Marshall or Jeffery all night. How he performs could go a long way towards deciding the outcome.
THREE OTHER JERSEY SPOTS NEAR METLIFE
- There’s a Jersey delicacy called Taylor Ham (pork roll in the central and southern part of the state). In my hometown of Kearny, NJ is a tiny little grease pit called The Greeks. (Map It: Click Here)
- Harold’s Delicatessen. I have had corned beef at pastrami at every legendary deli in New York City and Los Angeles. None of them hold a candle to the gargantuan delight served up in Lyndhurst. (Map it: Click Here)
- Pizzaland in North Arlington is known mainly for being in the opening credits of The Sopranos but the pizza is one of a kind and a perfect Jersey pie. Take the pie next door to the Silver Bell Tavern and enjoy the night. (Map it: Click Here)
New Jersey is great.