I don’t really have a coherent column in my mind right so I decided to just lay out some Bears-related questions on my mind. Feel free to provide your own answers in the comments sections or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What’s the point of bringing Adam Podlesh to Bourbonnais this summer? The Bears took a severe dip in Rick Gosselin’s wonderful special teams rankings for one reason: they possessed the worst punter statistically in the sport. And it wasn’t close. Couple that with Podlesh being the 12th highest paid punter in the sport and there doesn’t seem to be much of a decision here.
- Is Julius Peppers really a player the Bears should give up on for financial reasons? I have not been as down on Peppers’ 2013 as many other. Was he a dominant edge rusher? No. But he did have a few spectacular games while anchoring a defensive line that lacked a single other player of worth for most of the season. If I’m the Bears, I try to bring him back.
- How does Devin Hester’s production in the return game compare to rest of the league’s best returners? With his number of fair catches on punt returns and the general number of touchbacks on kickoffs, does it make any sense to occupy a roster spot with a returns-only gentleman? Can the Bears afford to pass on any defender of note in order to keep Hester? I don’t think so.
- Is Chris Conte still in the plans? Conte is under contract for 2014 but he has become something of a poster boy for the defensive struggles of the season, culminating on his fateful fourth-and-eight missed assignment. Conte moving to a swing/backup safety role may be a bone Phil Emery and Marc Trestman throw to the fans.
- Can the Bears and Charles Tillman reach an agreement? Bringing back Tillman and Jennings as the starting corners would allow the Bears to look at the draft for corners, knowing the pressure to play immediately isn’t there. It would also enable them to target DL and safety in free agency.
- What are Henry Melton’s people going to ask for? I don’t think we can debate Melton being in the 2014 mix until we answer that question.
These are the questions currently on my mind. What’s on yours?