The 10-2 Patriots visit the 9-3 Bears in an inter-conference showdown. Can the Bears extend their five-game winning streak, knocking off the team considered by most to be the best in the league? Will the Pats, on a short week, be able to battle the conditions and win their eleventh game? I think…
- I always like the Chicago Bears.
- I know the Patriots had an easy time with the Jets Monday night but it was still an emotional evening. Now they have a short week and have to travel to face a good team that needs the game more.
- Weather conditions? We got em. The high temperature of the day is supposed to be 23 degrees, very windy and a 70% chance of precipitation (read: snow). This does not bode well for a Tom Brady-led offense that wants to throw it as often as they can.
- The Patriots have a few defensive stalwarts. Vince Wilfork is still a beast and Devin McCourty is developing into a hell of a Belichick corner. But they are not a defense with depth and the Bears should be able to continue successfully running the perimeter and executing the short-pass offense to sustain long drives. Even after their dominant Monday night, the Pats are allowing nearly 400 yards a game.
- In conditions like these, the Bears return game will be the star of the show. I’d be surprised if Bill Belichick punts the ball directly to Devin Hester but good coaches have done it before.
- I love the emergence of Earl Bennett as a reliable possession receiver. With conditions and inevitably big third-down situations, I think the Duke of Earl comes up huge.
- I think this is going to be a low-scoring game. And in low-scoring, cold weather games I will take the better run game and special teams.