Just wrapped up watching the entirety of this ballgame and here’s five thoughts.
1. On the quarterbacks. (1) Don’t worry about Jay Cutler’s performance. Without Matt Forte and Greg Olsen (the team’s other two dynamic weapons), it is nearly impossible to gauge how this offense is going to look. (2) I was quite impressed with Caleb Hanie. He has a solid arm, good vision down the field and seems to be comfortable when scrambling outside the pocket. (3) Brett Basanez should not make this or any other club’s 53 man roster.
2. Trent Edwards went 10-for-10. Trent Edwards looked an awful lot like every quarterback the Bears faced in 2008. If Green Bay runs the ball fifteen times on opening night, I’ll be surprised.
3. Nathan Vasher needed a solid performance last night and he certainly did not provide it. Vash looked tentative in coverage and slow to the football. Won’t someone tell me what’s happened to this player since signing a lucrative contract extension?
4. I think the speculation can end. Rashied Davis is going to be on this team.
5. Even though Al Afalava (how about ‘Volcano’ as a nickname) and Craig Steltz Bomber are not starting players, I think we’ve got some depth at the safety spot. Both players looked confident and – more importantly – made plays.