Here are five thoughts on the Bears possible approach.
(1) Go get Eric Weddle. Why?
- Antrel Rolle is shot and has been for some time. (Even when he wasn’t shot, he couldn’t cover anybody.)
- Weddle may come with a significant yearly price tag but at thirty-one years old the length of the contract will most likely be tolerable.
- Weddle can bring toughness, versatility and leadership to a secondary desperate for all three.
- Adrian Amos already has the best secondary coach in the NFL. Line up Weddle beside him and you’ll see his development expedited.
(2) The Bears targeted Pernell McPhee quickly a year ago and landed their man. Would they do so again? Yes. Because adding Malik Jackson to their defensive line will turn around their poor rush defense almost immediately. There’s concern, of course, because paying defensive linemen has bitten several clubs in the ass. But you have to spend all that cap space somewhere, don’t you?
(3) The Bears should go into 2016 with Charles Leno and Kyle Long as their starting tackles. Both showed enough a year ago to warrant another season at those positions. But don’t be surprised if they look to free agency for a tough presence in the middle of the line. Is Alex Boone a great guard? No. But he’s got some badass in him. And he shouldn’t be too expensive.